Wendy brings many years of experience in statutory and strategic planning in local government to her work as Senior Town Planner for Siteplus.
Wendy began her professional career in 1986 as the Research Officer for the Port Kembla Harbour Task Force where she was responsible for research, stakeholder consultation and government liaison to promote the economic activity, diversification of trade and employment opportunities at the Port of Port Kembla and the development of a comprehensive Port Diversification Strategy.
During her time with the Economic Development Unit, Wendy also worked on the Retail and Office Strategy for the Wollongong CBD, an Industrial Land Strategy to support the economic development of the City and collaborated with Tourism Wollongong on projects.
In 1989 Wendy joined the Strategic Planning Section of Council and worked on the initial stages of the Helensburgh Planning Project, looking at the two main urban release proposals and the impact on the Hacking River Catchment. Wendy worked on the baseline studies for the initial West Dapto Urban Release Project in the areas of Flora and Fauna Assessment, Environmental Management, and Heritage and Social Planning. Two significant projects for the City were the Kanahooka Road Integrated Plan and the Sandon Point Environmental Plan.
In 1990 Wendy had the opportunity to become more involved in development assessment work. Wendy’s chief responsibilities included the assessment and determination of development applications for major industrial developments, commercial and residential developments and development control of the sensitive environment protection zones along the Illawarra Escarpment and around Lake Illawarra. Wendy was the Senior Planner responsible for the Port Kembla Industrial area and the Port of Port Kembla.
In 1999 Wendy took on a role of economic development officer, industry liaison officer and environmental adviser for development control in the Planning and Development Division, until joining Siteplus in 2006.
Major achievements include:
- Assessment and determination of major development applications and State Significant applications such as the PCI Plant at the Steelworks, The BHP Steel Tin Mill Project and Duke Energy Co Generation Plant.
- Council Officer responsible for the assessment of the Dendrobium Underground Coal Mine Project and Council’s preparation for the Commission of Inquiry.
- Preparation of the strategy for the planning and design, stakeholder consultation, land access and funding of the Illawarra Escarpment Walking Track.
- The development and implementation of Australia’s Industry World as an example of environmental enhancement and innovation in Tourism by promotion of the industrial area of Port Kembla as a major tourist attraction for the City.
- Development of Best Practice in Environmental Planning and Community Liaison working with the Environment Protection Authority and Bluescope Steel and the Mining Companies.
- Council’s Planning and Liaison Officer responsible for the development control and compliance of all mine sites and mining related industries in the City.
Areas of Expertise
- Development Assessment
- Statutory Planning
- Strategic Planning
- Economic Development and Tourism Development
- Environmental Management and Planning Policy
- Project Management
- Community Consultation
- Bachelor of Science, University of Wollongong (1985)
- Graduate Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning, University of New England (Armidale)
- 1989– National Award for Innovation in Local Government for the Port Kembla Harbour Task Force for Wollongong City Council.
- 1992—Royal Australian Planning Institute (NSW) Award for Excellence in Planning for Australia’s Industry World, Port Kembla for Wollongong City Council.