Before forming Siteplus in May 2003 with Ken Rootsey, Vaughan McInnes was the founding director of Natural Developments, a town planning, development and urban design consultancy. Natural Developments offered specialist services to suit fringe urban areas requiring comprehensive planning, urban design, infrastructure packaging and establishment of environmental recovery systems.
He provided project management services for the West Dapto Urban Release Area on behalf of Wollongong City Council. The work incorporated commitments to Ecological Sustainable Development (ESD), set-up of monitoring systems, preparation of an Environmental Baseline System (EBS) on Council’s GIS, a purpose built ‘TRACKS’ traffic model and an integrated financial and lot generation spreadsheet. Major transit systems, mixed-use development, commercial and employment areas were also identified and promoted. The work was nationally recognised and received the 1996 Royal Australian Planning Institute Award for Planning Excellence in NSW.
Natural Developments also provided urban design and town planning advice for the following:
- Master Planning of the last major residential subdivision at Mt Annan on behalf of Landcom. A mixture of lot sizes and dwelling types was promoted with a mixed use centre, innovative stormwater and water quality management systems connected to regional open space.
- Voyager Point Structure Plan on behalf of Liverpool Council set out the future residential release of Delfin’s landholdings adjoining “The Sanctuary”.
- Examination of development feasibility for the development of the Fitzgibbon Emerging Communities Development Project on the northern suburbs of Brisbane on behalf of Brisbane City Council.
- Urban Design of an integrated housing development at Berkley Hills.
- Preparation of a series of subdivision concepts for client approval for the sales feasibility of the strategically important old CSR Brick pit site in Erskine Park. The site comprised nearly 150 ha of land encompassing a number of development constraints including road access, brick pit workings, remnant Cumberland Plain Woodland and powerlines.
- Development of an Environmental Baseline System (EBS) on Liverpool Council’s GIS for their Sustainable Development Communities Project. The EBS has an interlinked lot generation spreadsheet able to be varied by simple Desktop Analysis.
- Local project management of two major investigations for the rezoning and future master planning of two interlinked urban release areas in the Camden Council area identified to provide up to 6500 dwellings, local shopping, education facilities, new infrastructure, transportation corridors, integrated open space, stormwater and water quality management systems. New urban bushland corridors are to be established as a consequence of the development and concepts were identified for private sector involvement in the provision and ongoing management of green space systems
Previous experience also includes employment as a Principal Planner with GHD Sydney where he project managed numerous multi-disciplinary investigations including major urban design projects for over 6,000 new dwellings.
Areas of Expertise
- Project Management
- Master Planning
- Infrastructure Planning and Packaging
- Feasibility Studies and Assessments
- Landscape Architecture
- Planning Policy Packaging
- Bachelor of Regional and Town Planning, University of Queensland (1977)
- Graduate Diploma in Landscape Architecture, Queensland Institute of Technology (1983)
- 1993 – Wollongong Council Award of Merit. Foothills Residential Estate. Client: MBA Land Pty Ltd. Urban Design Manager for GHD
- 1996 – Royal Australian Planning Institute NSW Award for Planning Excellence for West Dapto. Project Manager for Wollongong Council
- 2000 – Royal Australian Planning Institute NSW Award for Planning Excellence for Liverpool Council‘s Sustainable Communities. Part of Sub-Consultant Team for Liverpool Council
- Member of Royal Australian Planning Institute
- Certified Practising Planner