Ken Rootsey commenced his professional engineering career in 1977, and in his early years worked in Local Government. A brief period at Bankstown City Council preceded twelve years at Sutherland Shire Council, where he had experience in Investigations, Drainage, Design, Construction and Development Control. During this period Ken gained his Local Government Engineers Certificate.
With over thirteen years in local government Ken can negotiate strongly with Councils, as he understands the issues from a Council perspective, and can relate to Council planners and engineers. This has led to strong relationships with Council staff, which in turn has led to an enviable rate of achievement, with successful outcomes over the full range of Council applications.
In 1988 Ken joined Consulting Surveying firm K.F. Williams and Associates, a medium-sized consultancy based in Wollongong, NSW. Ken commenced as Engineering Manager in charge of the engineering division of the Company.
By 1990 K.F. Williams and Associates had grown to be the largest multi-disciplinary consultancy on the South Coast, with a workforce of 32 people. The engineering division comprised more than half the total staff. In 1994 Ken was appointed the Managing Director of K.F. Williams and Associates. Ken played a hands-on role as the principal Project Manager in the Company and managed the creation of over 3000 residential, commercial and industrial properties in Wollongong, Shellharbour, Sutherland and the Snowy Mountains.
During this time Ken achieved recognition from his peers by being invited to be a Fellow of the Institute of Engineers Australia, and being elected Foundation Chairman of the South Coast Chapter of the Urban Development Institute of Australia. Ken was subsequently elected to the State Council of the UDIA in 2000.
In 2000 Ken formed Ken Rootsey and Associates Pty Ltd. This was a vast change from the big company structure, as Ken Rootsey and Associates had a total of two staff. However, Ken Rootsey and Associates flourished, creating a good market share in the civil engineering and project management fields.
Ken is experienced in road and drainage design, flood studies and flood management schemes, creek and stream rehabilitation works, traffic studies, quarry infrastructure, urban planning, and project management.
Ken has worked for companies such as Stocklands, Sheargold Group, Lucas and Tait, plus many smaller clients. His current clients include Village Building Company, Miltonbrook, Gandangara Local Aboriginal Land Council, Landcom, and others.
In recent years Ken has become heavily involved in innovative and environmentally sustainable projects. He has managed the creation of a Green and Golden Bell Frog habitat, developed tertiary treatment standard urban stormwater systems, and created split drainage systems for separation of clean and dirty stormwater runoff.
In May 2003, Ken Rootsey and Associates aligned with Natural Developments Pty Ltd to form Site Plus Pty Ltd.
Areas of Expertise
- Project Management
- Civil Engineering
- Road & Drainage Design
- Flood Studies and Stormwater Management
- Water Sensitive Urban Design
- Infrastructure Assessment
- Graduate degree in Civil Engineering, University of New South Wales (1977)
- Graduate Diploma in Business, Deakin University
- Local Government Engineers Certificate.
- 1995 – Wollongong City Council Residential Subdivision Award: Forest Grove, Kanahooka Client: Windsor Developments/Boral Joint
- Venture Project Manager at K.F. Williams and Associates Pty Ltd
- 1997 – International Erosion Control Association Environmental Excellence Award – Runner-Up: Stream Rehabilitation Program, Albion Park, NSW Client: Stockland Trust Group Project Manager at K.F. Williams and Associates Pty Ltd
- Fellow, Institute of Engineers Australia.
- Registered Professional Engineer (NPER).
- NSW Councillor, Urban Development Institute of Australia
- Member, Urban Land Institute.
- Member, Stormwater Drainage Association.